There is no official application form to apply for Slovak citizenship. A written application should contain all required data and should be accompanied by all required documents as specified in this article.
The application for Slovak citizenship must contain:
- Name, surname, maiden surname, birth identification number (provided that you have been given one), date and place of birth;
- Address of permanent residence of the applicant;
- Reasons for application for Slovak citizenship;
- Date of the application and the applicant's signature.
Attachments to the Citizenship Application
The following documents must be submitted with the Citizenship application:
- brief Curriculum Vitae, signed by the applicant;
- Birth certificate, if the country of the applicant’s origin recognizes them. Otherwise it should be substituted by another similar document;
- Document proving the applicant’s marital status, as for instance a marriage certificate, a divorce certificate or a death certificate of a deceased spouse, if the applicant is married, divorced or widowed;
- Document proving the applicant’s residence permit in the territory of the Slovak Republic, or document confirming his/her last permanent residence in Slovakia, or an affidavit about such residence in case of a former Slovak citizen;
- Document proving clear criminal record (Probity check) not older than 6 months, i.e. an extract from the Criminal Registry, from the country which he/she is or was a citizen of and from the country where he/she resided in the last 15 years before submitting the application for Slovak citizenship or other document proving clear criminal record issued by competent authorities of such states;
- Certificate of release from state bond of the former Czechoslovak Republic, the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic, the Slovak Socialist Republic or the Slovak Republic, or a naturalization certificate, or a confirmation of gaining a foreign citizenship, if the applicant is a former citizen;
- Certificate of a Slovak National Living Abroad (former Slovak Expatriate Card), if the applicant has been granted such status;
- The Applicant´s Questionnaire: An applicant who has reached at least 14 years of age must complete “A questionnaire of an applicant for Slovak citizenship” when filing the application (hereinafter referred to as the “applicant´s questionnaire”). The questionnaire form is issued by the Ministry of Interior. The questionnaire of an applicant who is a minor must be also signed by the applicant’s parents or legal guardians. If only one parent signs the questionnaire, the other parent’s agreement (officially verified by a public notary) must be attached.
Furthermore, the following documents must be submitted with the application, if relevant:
- Confirmation about the applicants taxes and payments issued by the competent Tax Authority, Customs Office and Municipal Office;
- Extract from a Commercial Registry or an extract from the Licensed Businesses Registry (Licensed Trade Registry);
- Statement of the applicant’s employer confirming his/her employment and a copy of the employment contract;
- Confirmation about the public health insurance payments of the applicant and about the period of the public health insurance coverage, issued by the relevant health insurance company;
- Confirmation about the income-tax payments, public health insurance payments, social insurance payments, and payments for the old-age pension contributions, issued by the the applicant´s employer;
- Confirmation of study;
- Confirmation of pension receipt;
- Confirmation issued by the Labour Office that the applicant is an unemployed person registered as a jobseeker;
- Confirmation about sufficient income with respect to stay of the foreigner and his/her close persons in the territory of the Slovak Republic, if he/she is voluntarily unemployed (Proven by bank statements).
All documents issued by any foreign state must be oficially translated into Slovak language by an official translator certified by the Ministry of Justice of the Slovak Republic and must be authenticated by means of a consular superlegalization or apostillation (unless an international treaty stipulates otherwise).
In case the Ministry of Interior requires further documents during the administrative procedure, the applicant may be asked to submit such documents. The Ministry may also invite the applicant to to a personal interview, especially in order to clarify certain facts relating to the application.
Administrative Fees Connected with the Slovak Citizenship
According to the Article 20 of the Act No. 145/1995 Coll. on Administrative Fees, as amended, the administrative fees when applying for Slovak Citizenship are charged in the following height :
- Fee for granting Slovak citizenship to an applicant above 18 years of age is 700 EUR
- Fee for granting Slovak citizenship to a minor:
- up to 15 years of age is 100 EUR
- from 15 to 18 years of age is 150 EUR
- Fee for granting Slovak citizenship to former Slovak or Czechoslovak citizens and those who opt to revert to their former citizenship in accordance with international law is 20 EUR
- Fee for granting Slovak citizenship to Czech citizens born after January 1, 1993 is 20 EUR
- Fee for granting Slovak citizenship to an individual whose at least one parent was a Czechoslovak citizen at the time of his/her birth is 20 EUR
Exemptions: Foreigners who have been granted asylum in Slovakia and displaced persons from Chernobyl, Ukraine, are exempted from paying the above-mentioned administrative fees.
The administrative fee is to be paid only when the Slovak citizenship is granted and the Certificate of Slovak Citizenship is handed to the applicant.