No one shall be deprived of the citizenship of the Slovak Republic against his/her free will. Citizenship of the Slovak Republic can only be lost by "release from the state bond" upon own request.
Only a citizen who will prove that he/she has acquired a citizenship of another state, who has been promised to be granted a citizenship of another state or a citizen who can reasonably presume that he/she will be granted a citizenship of another state after relinquishing his/her Slovak citizenship, can be released from the state bond of the Slovak Republic.
A person who wishes to be released from the state bond of the Slovak Republic has to submit an application, which may be found here.
The application has to be submitted in person:
- at the District Authority in the seat of a region according to the place of residence in the territory of the Slovak Republic
- at the Embassy of the Slovak Republic abroad
The following documents have to be submitted with the application:
- birth certificate,
- proof of marital status, i.e. marriage certificate, court decision or confirmation about the divorce of a marriage, death certificate of a deceased spouse, if the applicant is married, divorced or widowed,
- extract from the criminal register of the Slovak Republic, not older than six months,
- promise of granting citizenship of another state or proof of its acquisition,
- confirmation that the applicant has no outstanding payments of taxes and public payments in the Slovak Republic (this is a reason hindering release of a person from the state bond, aside from criminal proceedings, serving a sentence, or if a person has a sentence to serve according to a judgment of a court of the Slovak Republic).
The District Authority in the seat of a region decides on release from the state bound of the Slovak Republic. The Authority shall decide about the application within six months from its delivery. In case the District Authority decides about release from the state bond, it shall issue a deed on release from the state bond of the Slovak Republic.
Loss of citizenship of the Slovak Republic occurs the day of receipt of the deed on release from the state bond of the Slovak Republic. The applicant has to receive this deed in person at one of the above mentioned places. In case he fails to receive the deed, the applicant´s proceedings will be terminated.
Administrative fees for release from the state bond:
- release from the state bond of a person over 18 years of age: 663,50 EUR
- release from the state bond of a minor below 15 years of age: 165,50 EUR
- release from the state bond of a minor from 15 to 18 years of age: 331,50 EUR
- release from the state bond in connection with granting citizenship of the Czech Republic: 16,50 EUR
ACQUIRING A FOREIGN CITIZENSHIP
A citizen of the Slovak Republic automatically loses Slovak citizenship the day he explicitly manifested his will (i.e. by means of an application, declaration or other act leading to acquisition of a foreign citizenship) to voluntarily acquire a foreign citizenship.
A citizen of the Slovak Republic who acquires a foreign citizenship in such way is obliged to notify of this fact the District Office in the region according to his permanent residence in Slovakia, without delay. In case of not complying with this obligation you may face a fine of up to 3319 EUR.
The following cases shall not lead to loss of Slovak citizenship.
- If a Slovak citizen acquires foreign citizenship in connection with conclusion of marriage with a foreign citizen. However this only applies in case the foreign citizenship was acquired while the marriage still lasts.
- If a child acquires foreign citizenship at birth.
- If a Slovak citizen acquires foreign citizenship before July 17th 2010.