Changes to the Act on Residence of Foreigners: Applying for residence

On May 1, 2018, a change to the Act on Residence of Foreigners shall take effect, bringing about several major changes regarding the conditions for applying for certain types of residence.

From May 1, 2018, the application for residence permit at the Alien Police can be personally submitted by a foreigner who:

           - a valid residence permit,

           - a national visa,

           - a tolerated stay (except for a tolerated stay under the international commitments of the Slovak Republic)

           - a Schengen visa issued by another Member State based on a representation agreement between the Slovak Republic and another Member State - ONLY IN CASE OF THE APPLICATION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 5 YEARS,

This does not apply if a foreigner is applying for temporary residence for employment purposes within intra-corporate transfer. In such case, as well as in other cases not covered by the above mentioned list, the foreigner must submit an application for temporary residence abroad to an embassy in the country which issued their travel document or in which the foreigner resides. An application for permanent residence for 5 years may be submitted to any embassy abroad.

In addition, from May 1, 2018, a foreigner who was granted a temporary residence permit for employment and seasonal employment as well as for educational purposes (attending language or university preparation course organized and carried out by a Slovak university) may not apply for the change of the purpose of temporary residence at the relevant Alien Police department.

For information on other changes to the Act on Residence of Foreigners:

Changes to the Act on Residence of Foreigners concerning the Single Permit for Employment.

Changes to the Act on Residence of Foreigners: Proof of accommodation