Free Advice and Services for Foreigners

You are here: Home Social Issues Health Care Whom the state pays health insurance for

Whom the state pays health insurance for

The state is, among other things, the payer of compulsory health insurance for:

  • a dependent child (if the child meets the conditions of the categorized system of compulsory public health insurance)
  • a pensioner under the Health Insurance Act
  • a beneficiary of parental allowance
  •  a person who has reached retirement age and entitlement to pension has not yet begun
  •  a person who is disabled and his entitlement to a disability pension has not yet begun
  •  a person in custody or serving a prison sentence
  • a person who has been placed in a social care facility by a court order, or resides in a social services facility year-round
  • a foreign student who fulfills all obligations under international agreements by which the Slovak Republic is bound
  • a beneficiary of financial contributions for child care
  • a person who  personally gives daily proper care to a child under the age of six years
  • an employee’s spouse who conducts civil service abroad, or an employee who works under contract for the public's interest abroad
  • a person who takes care of a severely disabled citizen, who is dependent according to an expert’s opinion; or someone who takes care of a close person older than 80 years who has not been placed in a social services or health care facility (care of such persons shall be proven by an affidavit)
  • a person who provides personal assistance to a citizen with severe disabilities under a special regulation
  • a person in receipt of  wage compensation, illness, nursing or maternity benefits under a special regulation
  • a person who receives welfare benefits or a welfare benefit contribution (for example, a foreign national with a tolerated stay in the Slovak Republic), and a person who is jointly assessed, if he doesn’t have any income under a special regulation
  • a person who is listed in the register of job seekers
  • a foreign national who is detained in the Slovak Republic
  • a refugee (a person who has been granted asylum, not an asylum seeker)
  • a person who works for a church, religious community and charity and does not receive income from this work or from any other activities in addition to the exempt income
  • a person who is in receipt of health security and receives wage compensation of police service during his temporary inability to perform civil service, and wage compensation of a professional soldier who cannot perform military service due to illness or accident, sickness or maternity under special legislation
  • a PhD student in full time study, if the total length of his doctoral studies exceed the standard length of study of a full time doctoral and has not yet earned a PhD degree or has not yet reached 30 years of age.

However, the state provides health care (beyond health insurance) also to the following categories of foreign nationals:

  • asylum seeker
  • an applicant for temporary assylum
  • a foreign national who has been granted temporary asylum
  • a foreign national who has been granted subsidiary protection (in some cases)

Contact us

Info line: 0850 211 478                (during opening hours)


  Skype: MICconsultant                (voice calls only)
      +421 908 767 853                    (voice calls only)

Tel: +421 2 5263 0023

Grösslingová 35
811 09 Bratislava

Tel: +421 55 625 8662
Poštová 1
040 01 Košice

Opening hours


Monday:   9.00 - 12.00  13.00 - 17.00
Tuesday: 9.00 - 12.00  13.00 - 17.00
Wednesday:                    13.00 - 17.00
Thursday:   9.00 - 12.00  13.00 - 17.00
Friday:  by appointment only



Monday:   by appointment only
Tuesday: by appointment only
Wednesday:  by appointment only
Thursday:   by appointment only
Friday:  by appointment only



If you wish to receive the IOM Bratislava Newsletters please
fill out the following form:

You may need a visa to come to Slovakia to visit, study or work.
Check if you need a visa.


You are here: Home Social Issues Health Care Whom the state pays health insurance for