Free Advice and Services for Foreigners

You are here: Home Family Marriage Between a Slovak Citizen and a Foreign National

A Slovak citizen may marry a foreign national in Slovakia or in a foreign country in front of that country's authorities. Marriages at Slovak diplomatic missions are currently possible only between Slovak citizens, i.e. Slovak citizens may not enter into marriage with a foreign national.

Entering into a marriage in Slovakia

A marriage between a Slovak citizen and a foreigner is regulated by pertinent provisions of the Act on Family and the Act on Registry Offices. Granting permanent residence to a foreigner who has entered into marriage with a Slovak citizen is regulated by the Act on Residence of Foreigners (see article Permanent residence for the purpose of family reunion). 

Marriage is entered into by a declaration of the fiancés about entering into a marriage in front of a municipal authority that runs a Registry Office, a registered Church or a clerical community authority, accompanied by two witnesses.

A wedding ceremony abroad

According to the Act on International Private and Procedural Law the procedure is determined by the law of the country in which the wedding ceremony takes place. Therefore it is necessary to inquire well in advance about the conditions and the documents you will need for a wedding in the foreign country of choice. 

Marriage between a Slovak citizen and a foreign national concluded with a competent authority in a foreign country is recognized in the Slovak Republic only if it is valid in the country where it was concluded and if there are no legal impediments regarding this marriage in the Slovak Republic (e.g. condition of age, monogamy issues etc.). 

Confirmation about the legal capacity of a Slovak citizen to enter into a marriage union is issued by the competent Slovak Registry Office. A foreigner must be competent to enter into a marriage according to the law of his state of origin. 

If you decided to have a wedding ceremony in the territory of the Slovak Republic or at the embassy of the Slovak Republic abroad, please read the following text about the requirements you have to fulfill.

What documents must be submitted before the wedding ceremony?

A foreigner is obliged to submit the following documents to the locally competent Registry Office not later than 14 days prior to the wedding ceremony:

  1. birth certificate – this document shall include personal data of a foreigner - date and a place of birth as well as the personal data of his/her parents. If the birth certificate does not include personal data of both parents, the marriage certificate of the parents will be required
  2. proof of marital status
  3. proof of citizenship – valid passport
  4. proof of residence
  5. death certificate of a deceased spouse – if the foreigner is widowed
  6. divorce decree – if the foreigner is divorced
  7. ID/passport.


Note: the documents mentioned above must be submitted at the locally competent Registry Office not later than 14 days prior to the wedding ceremony. 
The document proving marital status must not be older than 6 months. 
Documents must be translated into Slovak by an official translator certified by the Ministry of Justice of the Slovak Republic, translated documents must be signed by the certified translator and must include a round seal. 
All documents shall be submitted to the locally competent Registry Office regardless of the place of the wedding ceremony. If any of the spouses does not speak or understand Slovak language, the presence of an official court interpreter is required at the wedding ceremony.
If submitting any specific document is hindered by an especially difficult obstruction, the Registry Office can accept its replacement with an affidavit of the couple.


A Slovak citizen shall submit:

  1. birth certificate
  2. proof of citizenship
  3. proof of address (permanent residence in Slovakia)
  4. death certificate of a deceased spouse – if he/she is widowed, or a divorce decree – if he/she is divorced person, or a court decision on an annulment of a previous marriage
  5. proof of a personal identification number (given to Slovak citizens at birth)
  6. proof of identity.


Note: Documents 2, 3, 5 and 6 can be substituted by submitting a valid identity card or by proving the electronic identity with an identity card containing an electronic chip.
If a Slovak citizen has a permanent residence abroad, the following documents must be submitted as the document No. 2: 1) confirmation about his/her residence, issued by the competent authority of the given state; 2) Confirmation of his/her citizenship of SR may be substituted by submitting a valid passport issued by the Slovak Republic.


Besides above mentioned documents, before the wedding ceremony takes place, the couple shall fill out an official application form for the wedding ceremony; sometimes - because of serious obstacles - this can be done by only one of the fiancées.


Fees for individual administrative acts are administered by Act No. 145/1995 Coll. On Administrative Fees.

Conclusion of marriage between a Slovak national and a foreign national: 66 EUR

Conclusion of marriage between foreign nationals: 165.50 EUR

Conclusions of marriage if neither of the spouses has permanent residence in the Slovak Republic: 199 EUR

Permission to conclude a marriage at other than competent Registry Office between a Slovak national and a foreign national: 33 EUR

(Individuals, whose life is under an imminent treat, or they are holders of the certificate of a person with severe disability, are not oblige to pay these fees. Fee/s will be administered just from one fiancé.)

Request of entry in the Special Register: 25 EUR

Authentication of the documents issued by eligible foreign authorities for use in the Slovak Republic: 20 EUR

Authentication of the documents issued by the Slovak authorities for use in a foreign country: 20 EUR

Apostille: 20 EUR


Additional information can be found on these websites (in Slovak language):

A marriage with a foreigner - Svadba s cudzincom

Contact us

Info line: 0850 211 478                (during opening hours)


  Skype: MICconsultant                (voice calls only)
      +421 908 767 853                    (voice calls only)

Tel: +421 2 5263 0023

Grösslingová 35
811 09 Bratislava

Tel: +421 55 625 8662
Poštová 1
040 01 Košice

Opening hours


Monday:   9.00 - 12.00  13.00 - 17.00
Tuesday: 9.00 - 12.00  13.00 - 17.00
Wednesday:                    13.00 - 17.00
Thursday:   9.00 - 12.00  13.00 - 17.00
Friday:  by appointment only



Monday:   by appointment only
Tuesday: by appointment only
Wednesday:  by appointment only
Thursday:   by appointment only
Friday:  by appointment only



If you wish to receive the IOM Bratislava Newsletters please
fill out the following form:

You may need a visa to come to Slovakia to visit, study or work.
Check if you need a visa.


You are here: Home Family Marriage Between a Slovak Citizen and a Foreign National