Free Advice and Services

You are here: Home Residence Visa


In order to visit Slovakia, most foreign nationals apply for the uniform Schengen visa. The uniform Schengen visa allows its holder to enter the Schengen Area Member States for example for the purpose of tourism, visiting relatives and friends, etc. It may be issued for one, two or more entries. The length of residence in the Schengen Area based on this type of visa may not exceed 90 days within any 180-days period. In general, the uniform Schengen visa cannot be used for employment or other similar profit-focused activity. We recommend to calculate the period of stay in the territory of Schengen countries and to check the compliance with the 90/180 rule, by using a Visa calculator.

A national visa can be granted:

  • in connection with the granting of residence in Slovakia,
  • to a foreigner over 15 years of age, who is admitted for language training at a language school for at least 25 hours per week,
  • it is necessary for the fulfilment of the Slovak Republic's obligations under international treaties; or
  • in the interest of the Slovak Republic.

As a rule, the extension of a uniform Schengen visa in the territory of the Slovak Republic is not possible.

Only in exceptional cases, the period of validity of your visa may be extended by a maximum of three months within one half-year. The application for a visa validity extension must be submitted at the competent Foreign Police Department.

Contact us

Tel: 0850 211 478
(reduced tariff calls only from Slovakia)

+421 2 5263 0023
+421 55 625 8662

Consultations in Ukrainian and Russian

+421 908 767 853 (voice calls only)


Skype: micconsultant (voice calls only)

Opening hours

MON,TUE,THU: 9,00 - 12,00 and from 13,00 - 17,00
WED: 13,00 - 17,00
FRI: 9,00 - 12,00

Until further notice the IOM Migration Information Centre  provides its services only via telephone and email. Personal consultations are provided by appointment.


Other Services

You are here: Home Residence Visa