Free Advice and Services for Foreigners from outside the EU

You are here: Home Social Issues Social Support Benefits Child allowance

Child allowance

Child allowance is a repeated state social benefit, the purpose of which is to contribute to education and nutrition of a dependent child. A dependent child is defined as a child receiving compulsory education of up to 25 years of age, if enrolled in full-time studies at secondary school or university, or if due to an illness or injury, the child is unable to study or to engage in a profit-making activity.

A dependent child shall not be considered a child entitled to disability pension or if the child has completed the 2nd level of higher education (master’s degree). Child custody of the authorised person and permanent or temporary residence in the territory of the Slovak Republic, are conditional upon claiming the childbirth allowance

Authorized person entitled to claim the allowance is defined as:

  • a parent of a dependent child,
  • a person to whose custody the child was entrusted  on  basis of a final court decision,
  • a person to whom the child was entrusted to a non-parent custody (substitute parental care)on  basis of a final court decision,
  • a dependent adult child, if the child has no parents, holds a modified maintenance obligation, is married or divorced, or
  • a minor parent, with acknowledged parental authority.

Authorized person looses the entitlement to claim the allowance if

  • a dependent child is provided care in a social protection of children and social guardianship facility or in a special educational facility,
  • a dependent child is held in custody or serving a prison sentence or
  • the authorized person and the dependent child reside in a non EU / EEA member state or the Swiss Confederation, and if during their residence in such state, the authorized person fails to hold compulsory public health insurance policy in the Slovak Republic.

The allowance amounts to EUR 24,95 (from January 2020). This amount is adjusted every year, always as of January 1, of the calendar year.

You may claim the allowance at the Office of Labour, Social Affairs and Family, Department of State Social Benefits, according to permanent or temporary residence of the authorized person in Slovakia, The Office will also disburse the allowance retroactively as of the date of fulfilling the conditions for its allocation, for a maximum retroactive period of six months.

The application for the allowance must be submitted together with the following documents:

  • child‘s birth certificate 
  • passport of the applicant
  • proof of residence (plastic identity card)
  • confirmation from  a primary school on compulsory school attendance in the academic year following the academic year, in which the child reaches 16 years of age, for each academic year,  until completing the compulsory school attendance and secondary school or university if the  child systematically prepares for future profession trough studies
  • confirmation from the treating physician about the illness or injury of a child, due to which the child is unable to systematically prepare for future profession through studies or to engage in a profit-making activity
  • Confirmation from health insurance company, confirming that the applicant holds public health insurance policy in Slovak Republic (only if the applicant is a dependent child residing in a non EU member state)

Last update of the text: May 18, 2015

Contact us

Info line: 0850 211 478                 MON/TUE/THU/FRI: from 9.00 to 12.00 and from 13.00 to 17.00
WEDNESDAY: from 13.00 to 17.00


  Skype: MICconsultant                (voice calls only)
      +421 908 767 853                    (voice calls only)

Tel: +421 2 5263 0023

Grösslingová 35
811 09 Bratislava

Tel: +421 55 625 8662
Poštová 1
040 01 Košice

Opening hours

In order to prevent spread of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19), until further notice the IOM Migration Information Centre in Bratislava and Košice provides its services ONLY via telephone and email.


Online services

You are here: Home Social Issues Social Support Benefits Child allowance