Free Advice and Services


Information and assistance in connection with the war in Ukraine

UA: Інформація і допомога - ситуація в Україні - ця стаття доступна українською мовою 

Entry in Slovakia • After entering Slovakia • Temporary refuge (the easiest form of protection for people fleeing the war) Foreigners' Police • Employment • NEW: Healthcare • Schooling • NEW: Accommodation and other forms of help • Free transport • Financial assistance • IOM Ukraine • Repatriation to other countries • Information on conditions of entry into other countries neighbouring Ukraine • Information on entry conditions to other EU countries • More information and contacts

Conversation guide "First Aid in Slovak"



Entry in Slovakia

Citizens of Ukraine with a biometric passport can enter Slovakia under the visa-free regime and stay in Slovakia without a visa for a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period.

According to information from the Ministry of Interior of the Slovak Republic (press release HERE, information on the Facebook page of the Police Corps HERE), entry is currently allowed to all persons fleeing the conflict. Upon individual assessment, entry will be allowed also to persons who do not have a valid travel document (biometric passport, visa). 

Contact details for border crossing points can be found HERE

Persons arriving from a neighbouring country where they have been exposed to a threat during an armed conflict immediately prior to their arrival and persons in need of international protection or travelling for other humanitarian reasons meet the conditions for entry to Slovakia set out in the context of a coronavirus pandemic.

They do not need to register at when they arrive in Slovakia and are not subject to the isolation obligation.

The State Veterinary and Food Administration of the Slovak Republic has authorised the non-commercial movement of pets accompanying refugees, which do not meet the conditions of the legislation in force, into the territory of the Slovak Republic. The necessary forms can be found HERE.

These rules might be subject to frequent changes, so we recommend that you keep an eye on our website for the most up-to-date information. Regularly updated information on the situation at the Slovak border can be found on the Facebook pages of the Slovak Police Corps and the Slovak Ministry of the Interior.

[back to the top]

After entering Slovakia

All persons fleeing the conflict who have been allowed entry through the Slovak border (usually with a Slovak entry stamp in their passport) are allowed a short-term stay of up to 90 days

After entering Slovakia, it is necessary to report the beginning of your stay within three business days – a relevant form to download and more information is available HERE. The form can be sent to the competent Foreigners' Police Department by post, we recommend a registered post. 

By sending the Notice of Stay form to a Foreigners' Police Department, you are NOT applying for temporary refuge, asylum or residence in Slovakia.

Depending on your citizenship and other circumstances, you have several options that allow you to stay longer in Slovakia:

  1. Applying for a temporary refuge (the easiest form of protection for those fleeing the war) 
  2. Applying for international protection (asylum, subsidiary protection)
  3. Applying for a temporary or permanent residence

[back to the top]

Temporary refuge (protection)

What is the temporary refuge?

The temporary refuge is granted to protect foreigners from war, endemic violence, the consequences of a humanitarian disaster or persistent or massive human rights violations in their country of origin. 

It is currently provided until 4 March 2025. 

Updated tolerated stay documents can now be obtained from the website of the Ministry of the Interior of the Slovak Republic HERE

Who can apply for temporary refuge?

  1. citizens of Ukraine,
  2. persons who have enjoyed international or equivalent national protection in Ukraine,
  3. family members of citizens of Ukraine and persons with granted protection (if the family resided in Ukraine before 24 February 2022),
  4. foreigners who are not citizens of Ukraine, yet are permanent residents of Ukraine and cannot return under safe and stable conditions to their country or region of origin.

Who is considered a family member?

  1. a spouse 
  2. a minor child of the person or their spouse,
  3. the parent of a minor child (only if the child is a citizen of Ukraine)
  4. another close relative who has lived in the same household with a citizen of Ukraine or with a person granted protection and has been wholly or partially dependent on his/her relative.

Where can I apply for temporary refuge?

If you want to apply for temporary refuge, you can make a declaration in person at the hot spot (large capacity centre) in:

The opening hours of the hot spot is the following:

  • Monday to Friday - from 8.00 am to 3.30 pm.

The Foreigners' Police Departments  in Nitra, Žilina, Banská Bystrica, Rimavská Sobota, Dunajská Streda, Trnava, Nové Zámky, Trenčín, Ružomberok, Prešov, and Košice accept applications for temporary refuge from all applicants.

The Foreigners' Police Departments  in Bratislava, and Michalovce accept applications for temporary refuge only from pregnant women, families with children (only if there is at least one child under the age of 6), people over 65 and other vulnerable persons. 

The Foreigners’ Police Departments accept applications three days a week:

  • Monday – Wednesday – Friday - from 07.30 am to 3.30 pm.

How can I apply for temporary refuge?

As an applicant, you must provide credible proof of your identity and nationality, as well as of the facts that justify your request for temporary refuge (international/national protection, family relationship or permanent residence and inability to return to your country or region of origin).

You can prove your identity with, for example, a valid or invalid travel document, an identity card, a driving licence or any other document with a photograph together with a birth certificate.

For minors, the declaration shall be made by a legal guardian or a guardian appointed by the court; the minor must be present when the declaration is made.

Before making a declaration in person to the police, you can register HERE - the police will already have your details and your application will be processed more quickly.

If you have a travel, identification or another document, you will be given temporary shelter immediately. If not, your application will be processed within 30 days at the latest. If your application for temporary refuge is approved, you will be issued with a tolerated stay document marked 'DOČASNÉ ÚTOČISKO'. 

If you have permanent or temporary residence in Slovakia, are an asylum seeker or have already been granted asylum or subsidiary protection, you cannot apply for temporary refuge.

I moved. How can I change the address on my residence document?

You can report a change of address to the municipality or borough in which you live. There is no need to go back to a hot spot or the Foreigners' Police.

You must provide the municipality with proof that you have been granted temporary refuge (the document marked 'DOČASNÉ ÚTOČISKO' or 'ODÍDENEC' and a new proof of accommodation (e.g. an affidavit from the owner). The municipality will either record the change of address in the information system and issue you with a new residence document or record the change of address in the document you submit.

Can I leave Slovakia once I have been granted temporary refuge?

From the perspective of Slovak law, yes. Travelling (to any country, including Ukraine) does not cause the termination of the temporary refuge you have obtained in Slovakia.

However, we recommend that you contact the competent authorities (e.g. the embassy) of the country to which you intend to travel about the entry conditions applicable by that country.

Can I apply for temporary protection in another country once I have been granted temporary refuge?

Regarding the conditions for obtaining temporary protection in another country, you are advised to contact the competent authorities of that country. 

By obtaining temporary protection in another state, the temporary refuge you have obtained in Slovakia will be terminated.

Termination of temporary refuge

In addition to the expiration and the death of the person, the provision of temporary refuge shall also be terminated if the person:

  • has applied for asylum or subsidiary protection
  • has acquired temporary or permanent residence in Slovakia
  • has renounced in writing the granting of temporary refuge
  • has been granted asylum or subsidiary protection in another EU Member State 
  • has obtained indefinite leave to remain or temporary refuge in another State

The granting of temporary refuge shall also cease upon its cancellation. The grounds for withdrawal of temporary refuge are:

  • reasonable suspicion that the person has committed a crime against peace, a war crime or a crime against humanity, a serious non-political crime or an act contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations
  • a temporary refuge has been granted solely on the basis of false or falsified information concerning their identity
  • the person is reasonably believed to be dangerous to the security of the Slovak Republic; or
  • the person has been convicted of a particularly serious crime and constitutes a danger to society.

[back to the top]

Asylum (international protection)

Our Centre is not able to provide advice on asylum law.

You can apply for asylum if you have well-founded fears of persecution in your country of origin on grounds of race, nationality, religion, political opinion or membership of a particular social group and, because of these fears, you cannot or do not wish to return to this country, or if you are being persecuted for exercising your political rights and freedoms.

You may be granted subsidiary protection to protect you from serious harm in your country of origin.

The Ministry of the Interior may also grant asylum on humanitarian grounds.

If you enter the Slovak Republic through a border crossing point, the border police department at the border crossing point is competent to receive your asylum application. If you are travelling by air, it is the police department in the transit area of the airport (Košice, Bratislava, Poprad). If you are already on the territory of the Slovak Republic, you can apply for asylum exclusively at the Asylum Department of the Police Corps in Humenne.

The Migration Office of the Ministry of the Interior of the Slovak Republic is responsible for deciding on applications for asylum or subsidiary protection.

Migration Office of the MoI of the SR

Pivonková 6, Bratislava
+421 (0)2 4341 4775, +421 (0)2 4825 4104

Asylum Department of the Police Force in Humenné

Nemocničná 1, 066 01 Humenné
+421 96182 3241

You can also contact NGOs that provide legal advice to asylum seekers: the Slovak Humanitarian Council or the Human Rights League. Answers to the most important questions about asylum can be found HERE (in Russian HERE). Asylum procedure at a glance HERE.

Human Rights League

Račianska 80, Bratislava
cellphone: +421 800 222 350 (free of charge), + 421 918 366 968

Slovak Humanitarian Council

Budyšínska 1
Bratislava, 831 03
+421 51 70 81 777

[back to the top]


ATTENTION: If you currently hold temporary refuge (protection), you should carefully consider the change of this permit to temporary residence. We understand the uncertainty, which the temporary refuge status may evoke, however we recommend taking into account all aspects, which can influence your decision. Temporary refuge is currently being provided until 4 March 2025.

Residency advice provided by our centre is limited to the rules for obtaining visas and temporary or permanent residences in the Slovak Republic.

Temporary residence in Slovakia is tied to a specific purpose, such as employment, business, study, family reunification, etc. Each applicant for a residence permit must demonstrate the purpose chosen.

For a complete list of available purposes and the legally required documents, please see our factsheets (Russian version HERE). 

Please note that if you are older than 14, you must submit an extract from the criminal record when applying for temporary/permanent residence. This document must be verified for use abroad (apostille/consular legalisation). 

The Foreigners' Police may waive the requirement of higher verification of the criminal record extract in justified cases.

[back to the top]

Foreigners' Police 

As of 1 April 2022, the Foreigners' Police departments are open as follows:

  • Monday, Wednesday, Friday: from 07.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m. - all life situations
  • Tuesday, Thursday: from 07.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m. - applications for residence cards for international truck or bus drivers whose residence has been extended due to a crisis situation and applications for national visas in the interest of the Slovak Republic.

You need an appointment to submit your application. 

As of Saturday 26 February 2022, a state of emergency has been declared in Slovakia in connection with the mass influx of foreigners caused by the armed conflict on the territory of Ukraine.

The validity of temporary residence, permanent residence or tolerated stay, which would otherwise expire during the state of emergency, is extended until two months after the revocation of the state of emergency.

If you have applied for temporary residence or permanent residence for five years at the Foreigners' Police, you are entitled to stay in Slovakia until a decision on your application is made.

[back to the top]


If you are granted temporary refuge, you can work in Slovakia without needing further permits. However, you cannot run a business (or be self-employed).

If you are a citizen of Ukraine or a family member of a citizen of Ukraine (spouse or parent of a minor child) and you have applied for asylum, you can work even before the expiry of nine months from the start of the asylum procedure.

You can find practical information, tips and links to websites related to finding a job in Slovakia HERE.

You can find jobs for Ukrainian-speaking applicants for example on,, or Worki.

How to get a job in Slovakia – advice for refugees, temporary protection holders or asylum seekers from Ukraine. 

Within the framework of the project Pomáhame odídencom (Helping temporary protection holders), the Offices of Labour, Social Affairs and Family (Labour Offices) provide financial support for the education of those who have been granted temporary refuge in Slovakia and who have completed Questionnaire for citizens of Ukraine to determine their placement in the labour market.

On the website of the Central Labour Office, you can also find an information leaflet for temporary protection holders who are interested in receiving a financial allowance for commuting to their place of employment or volunteering.

Useful information for Ukrainian citizens on employment in Slovakia (information leaflet of the Labour Office)

"Pomáhame odídencom - counselling": counselling services of the Labour Office aimed at providing basic information about the Slovak labour market with a specific focus on the specific region where the counselling will be provided.

Information on the possibility of support for Ukrainians to carry out volunteering activities: please click here.

[back to the top]


Persons who are granted temporary refuge and do not have public health insurance have the right to receive urgent medical care and needed medical care as defined by the Ministry of Health. Needed medical care includes treatment by the ambulance service, the emergency medical service and consultations with a general practitioner, including preventive health care and vaccinations.

In order to receive urgent medical care, it is sufficient to prove that you are an applicant for temporary refuge or that you have been granted temporary refuge. To receive needed medical care, you need to prove your temporary refuge status.

Applicants for temporary refuge and residents of Ukraine who are currently in Slovakia without public health insurance can be vaccinated against COVID-19 in Slovakia.

Persons residing in Ukraine are entitled to reimbursement of urgent care even before applying for asylum, subsidiary protection or temporary refuge, but for no longer than 30 days from the date of entry into the territory of the Slovak Republic. 

As of 1 January 2023, the Ministry of Health have adjusted the scope of health care for children and adolescents from birth to 18 years + 364 days, who have been granted temporary protection in the Slovak Republic in connection with the ongoing armed conflict in Ukraine. The scope of health care from 1 January 2023 covers the same scope of health care as public health insurance and includes preventive examinations, urgent medical care and medical procedures and spa care (§ 2, § 3 and § 7 of Act No. 577/2004 Coll. on on the scope of health care paid on the basis of public health insurance and on payments for services related to the provision of health care as amended).

As of 1 September 2023, the Ministry of Health have adjusted the scope of health care for adults, who have been granted temporary protection in the Slovak Republic in connection with the ongoing armed conflict in Ukraine. The scope of health care from 1 September 2023 covers almost the same scope of health care as public health insurance and includes preventive examinations, urgent medical care and medical procedures (§ 2 and § 3 of Act No. 577/2004 Coll. on on the scope of health care paid on the basis of public health insurance and on payments for services related to the provision of health care as amended).

Psychological support hotline

In collaboration with IOM Ukraine we have established a toll-free connection to psychological support hotline which offers free and anonymous help to war affected individuals.

The number for free calls within Slovakia: +421 800 601 078. The hotline operates every day from 10 am to 8 pm (Kyiv time, GMT+2; Ukrainian and Russian languages). For consultations in English, Arabic, and Bengali, you can call the hotline from 9 am to 6 pm on weekdays and from 10 am to 5 pm on weekends (Kyiv time). Additionally, you can set up a video call for the maximum amount of 8 sessions. If you are in need of psychiatric help that you cannot get in Slovakia, you can use the same hotline where you will be referred to an Ukrainian psychiatrist for maximum of 3 sessions.

All information about the hotline can be found here: (in English and Ukrainian). 

[back to the top]


Once you have applied for temporary shelter, your child can go to school in Slovakia.

Visit the kindergarten, primary or secondary school where you would like to place your child. The school will check his/her level of education and knowledge of the Slovak language and place him/her in the appropriate grade. Your child will also be provided with Slovak language tuition.

More information can be found on the website of the Ministry of Education of the Slovak Republic.

Information for university students can be found on the SAIA, n. o. website.

[back to the top]

Accommodation and other forms of assistance

For basic information on accommodation options, please visit Pomoc pre Ukrajinu (Help for Ukraine).

Short-term accommodation with

The provision of short-term accommodation for people fleeing the war in Ukraine within the framework of the partnership between AirBnB and IOM was discontinued on 28.02.2023.

During the implementation of the project, accommodation was provided to 235 households, which included 217 children, 339 adults and 43 people over the age of 65. In total, the project accommodated 599 individuals throughout the Slovak Republic.

Accommodation allowance

A property owner who provides accommodation free of charge to a person who has been granted temporary refuge may apply for an allowance of:

  • EUR 5 per night of accommodation of a temporary refuge holder

The law sets limits of maximum allowance depending on the number of habitable rooms:

  • one room - maximum EUR 390 per calendar month,
  • two rooms - maximum EUR 540 per calendar month,
  • three rooms - max. EUR 720 per calendar month,
  • four or more rooms - max. EUR 900 per calendar month.

The allowance may be applied for at the municipality, to which the applicant must submit a contract on the provision of accommodation and a statement of the number of nights during which the accommodation was provided. There are two forms of statement, depending on whether the owner is a natural person or a legal entity. The statement must be submitted within 5 working days after the end of the calendar month.

An allowance may also be granted for a maximum of seven nights of accommodation provision preceding the date on which the temporary refuge is provided.

The person to whom accommodation is provided must notify the municipality in person once a month that accommodation is being provided. 

The provision of allowances is currently granted until 30 June 2024.

[back to the top] 

Free transport

The Slovak Railway Company has introduced free transport on all trains for citizens of Ukraine who present a valid passport or ID card. On trains with compulsory seat tickets, transport is also possible without a valid seat ticket.

Several Slovak regions are providing free bus transport.

Train and bus connections can be found HERE.

[back to the top]

Financial assistance 

A person who has been granted temporary shelter (protection) may apply for financial assistance. The application for assistance is made at the registration centres.

The amount of financial assistance is €80 per adult, €160 per child under the age of three and €60 per child aged 3-18. The amount of aid for one family cannot exceed € 380.

More information in English and Ukrainian, as well as application forms, can be found on the UNHCR website

Specific information on cash assistance for carers of adult Ukrainians with a disability or adult Ukrainians with specific needs can be found HERE.

For more information contact

0800 500 088 (Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm)

0800 500 099 (Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9.00 am to 2.00 pm) or


[back to the top]

IOM Ukraine

IOM is staying in Ukraine. Our colleagues are providing consultations to Ukrainians willing to go abroad and to foreigners staying in Ukraine.

On phone lines 527 (free from mobile phones) and 0800 505 501 (free from landline phones) information is provided on the following issues:

  • safe border crossing (e.g., border crossing with children, border crossing by car, etc.)
  • peculiarities of crossing Ukrainian border in view of martial law;
  • regular ways of migration, including family reunification and permanent residence;
  • visa procedures and conditions for obtaining visas;
  • contacts of consular institutions, public organizations helping migrants in Ukraine and abroad, associations of the Ukrainian diaspora abroad;
  • state migration programmes;
  • consultations for foreign citizens staying in Ukraine;
  • information on countering human trafficking;
  • risks of irregular migration.

The lines are operating from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekdays and from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends. The calls can be made only from Ukraine.

[back to the top]

Repatriation to other countries

Information and advice for non-EU nationals arriving in Slovakia from Ukraine and need assistance with their return to their country of origin:

International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Assisted Voluntary Return Unit

Infoline: 0850 211 262 (from Slovakia only)
For calls from abroad: +421 905 329 228
Telegram and Signal apps: +421 905 329 228 (voice calls only)

[back to the top]

More information and contacts

If you didn't find the answer to your question, you can contact us on the following telephone numbers: 0850 211 478, +421 2 5263 0023, +421 55 625 8662, Telegram/Signal: +421 908 767 853 (voice calls only) - portal of the public administration of the Slovak Republic - website prepared by the Human Rights League and NGO Mareena

Ministry of the Interior hotlines for Ukrainian speakers: +421 513 816 111 and +421 259 765 111

OZ Sme spolu (We are together): +421 911 201 889

[back to the top]


Contact us

Tel: 0850 211 478
(reduced tariff calls only from Slovakia)

+421 2 5263 0023
calls from abroad)

Consultations in Ukrainian and Russian

+421 908 767 853 (voice calls only)


Opening hours

MON,TUE,THU: 9,00 - 12,00 and from 13,00 - 17,00

Until further notice the IOM Migration Information Centre  provides its services only via telephone and email. Personal consultations are provided by appointment.


Other Services